Wednesday, February 20, 2008

calories: hidden in plain sight

For most of my life I discounted the calories I consumed in liquid form --- soda, juice, etc. Now I'm more conscious, drinking only diet soda (which I do NOT enjoy) if I really want something fizzy and/or caffeinated, to try to discourage myself from going that route.

I also paid a lot of attention to the filling of my sandwiches rather than the bread that encased them ... without realizing that a hero roll (or sub, as much as the rest of the country calls them) is about 80 calories per ounce. A six-inch sub is about 5 ounces.

Here's another tip to count your consumption: 10 calories per ounce of 'thin' drinks, like sweetened iced tea, soda, milk, juice and fruit punch. 20 calories for 'thick' drinks such as smoothies and milk shakes and blended coffee delights.

I want to know: does this rule apply to alcoholic beverages such as beer and wine? why are those beverages sold and distributed without nutritional information?

No comments: