Wednesday, November 28, 2007

the charms of Charm City

I finally feel like I'm a real resident of Baltimore, because someone smashed in my car window between midnight and noon today --- first time in five years!

Or, perhaps this is a sign I should leave.

To tell you the truth, it's not unexpected. I had a really bad feeling when I parked my car yesterday on the bridge over Interstate 83, between Guilford Avenue and east Baltimore next to at least two piles of broken auto glass --- often the only place I can park my car when I get back after work, after 11:30 p.m.

The haul: a bottle of hand lotion and the cord that connects my iPod to the stereo. The thief/thieves, who worked by the perpetually blinking blue light of a Baltimore Police Department surveillance camera, left my E-ZPass, old cell phone charger and hand sanitizer behind. Must have been scared off by the alarm, because my real valuables -- the Scrabble set in my trunk -- were also unmolested.

This unfortunately violates my life philosophy of staying out of the police blotter.

But no lasting harm. Safelite installed new auto glass in time for me to make it to my shift tonight and the technician let me use his vacuum to suck the glass crumbs out of my vents and from between my multiple layers of floor mats. It's all good.

2 comments:

Mair said...

Don't leeeeeeeeeeave!

Follow the Frog said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! But The tanswer, of course, is not to leave the cith that charm lives in!